Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-198
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 23 February 2018
Ottawa, 1 June 2018
Various locations across Canada
Public record for these applications: 2017-0712-6, 2017-0714-2, 2017-0716-8, 2017-0717-6, 2017-0734-0, 2017-0755-6 and 2017-0790-3
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the following commercial radio programming undertakings from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2025:
Licensee Call sign and location Application Maritime Broadcasting System Limited CKDY Digby, Nova Scotia and its transmitter CKDY-FM-1 Weymouth 2017-0734-0 Newfoundland Broadcasting Company Limited (NBCL) CHOZ-FM St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador and its transmitters CFOZ-FM Argentia, CIOZ-FM Marystown, CJOZ-FM Elliston, CKMY-FM Rattling Brook, CKOZ-FM Corner Brook, CJMY-FM Clarenville, CIOS-FM Stephenville and CFAZ-FM Gander 2017-0790-3 Radio Acadie ltée CJVA-FM Caraquet, New Brunswick 2017-0755-6 Vista Radio Ltd. (Vista) CKNR-FM Elliot Lake, Ontario and its transmitter CKNR-FM-1 Elliot Lake 2017-0712-6 CFFM-FM-2 Quesnel, British Columbia and its transmitter CFFM-FM-1 100 Mile House 2017-0717-6 CKWL Williams Lake, British Columbia 2017-0716-8 CHNV-FM Nelson, British Columbia and its transmitter CHNV-FM-1 Crawford Bay 2017-0714-2
- The licensees shall adhere to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62, with the exception of condition 8 for CFFM-FM-2 Quesnel, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for each undertaking.
- The Commission received interventions supporting the application by NBCL.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Vista must fulfill all the tangible benefits resulting from the applications approved in Broadcasting Decision 2012-577 and by decision letter dated 5 July 2012 (application 2012-0182-1).
- The Commission expects the licensees to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in their programming and employment practices.
- Because NBCL and Vista are subject to the Employment Equity Act and file reports with the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development, their employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
- In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the remaining licensees to consider employment equity issues in their hiring practices and in all other aspects of their management of human resources.
- The Commission encourages Vista to seek out opportunities to increase the amount of local programming broadcast on CFFM-FM-2 to ensure the local community in Quesnel is well served.
- Various radio programming undertakings – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-577, 19 October 2012
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: