Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-167
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal application posted on 23 February 2018
Ottawa, 17 May 2018
Canadian Hellenic Toronto Radio Inc.
Public record for this application: 2017-0759-8
CHTO Toronto and its transmitter in Mississauga – Licence renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the commercial ethnic AM radio programming undertaking CHTO Toronto, Ontario, and its AM transmitter in Mississauga from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2025. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-167
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the commercial ethnic AM radio programming undertaking CHTO Toronto and its AM transmitter in Mississauga
The licence will take effect 1 September 2018 and expire 31 August 2025.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- The licensee shall devote a minimum of 88% of the programming broadcast during each broadcast week to third-language programs, as defined in the Radio Regulations, 1986, as amended from time to time.
- The licensee shall broadcast, in each broadcast week, programming directed to a minimum of five cultural groups in a minimum of six languages.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: