Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Mr. Paul Cowling (Shaw Cablesystems GP)
Ottawa, 13 July 2017
Our reference: 1011-NOC2017-0092
Mr. Paul Cowling
Vice President, Legal and Regulatory Affairs
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 3rd Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 4L4
Re: Phase-out of the local service subsidy regime, Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017 92Footnote1 – Request for information
Dear Mr. Cowling:
Pursuant to paragraph 31 of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-92, attached is a request for information from the Commission.
A response to this request for information is to be filed with the Commission by 10 August 2017. The response must be received, not merely sent, by that date.
Original signed by
Director, Policy Framework
c.c.: Christine Brock, CRTC, (819) 997-4557, firstname.lastname@example.org
Request for information addressed to Shaw Cablesystems GP
- Provide your views on each of the following separate scenarios for implementation and include a proposed timeline, noting important milestones and key considerations.
- Allow the local service subsidy to be phased out “organically” as customers move to other services, and technology and coverage improve.Footnote2
- Phase out of the local service subsidy over the first five years of contributions to the broadband funding mechanism.
- For network access services still receiving subsidy:
- Eliminate subsidy immediately where broadband Internet access service at speeds of at least 50 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 10 Mbps upload is currently available;
- Establish a phase out plan and cut-off date for the removal of subsidy where it is determined that there is reliable broadband Internet access service; and
- Establish a phase out plan and cut-off date for the removal of subsidy where it is determined that broadband Internet access service is either unreliable or non-existent.
- Date modified: