ARCHIVED - Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Distribution List
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 28 April 2017
Our reference: 1011-NOC2017-0033
Subject: Telecom Notice of Consultation (TNC) CRTC 2017-33, Review of the regulatory framework for text-based message relay services (MRS Review) – Suspension of deadlines
In a letter dated 10 March 2017, the Canadian Association of the Deaf and the Deaf Wireless Canada Committee (hereinafter, collectively referred to as “the groups”) requested Commission permission to conduct a national survey in order to respond to the questions set out in the above-noted review.
The groups also provided the following timelines with respect to conducting the survey and intervening in the review:
- file a first submission intervention before the 3 April 2017 intervention deadline;
- conduct a national survey in English, French, ASL and LSQ;
- submit the survey report by 31 May 2017; and
- file a final submission by the 2 June 2017 deadline.
On 17 March 2017, Commission staff replied to the groups’ letter of 10 March 2017, neither approving nor denying the request to conduct a survey, rather advising the groups that:
- it is open to them, as well as other parties to this proceeding, to choose the manner in which they wish to undertake the required analysis in order to make submissions to assist the Commission in developing a better understanding of the matters under consideration; and
- such submissions must follow the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure (the Rules of Procedure)Footnote1 and the procedure set out in the notice of consultation.
In a subsequent letter dated 18 April 2017, the groups requested that the Commission allow the groups to submit the survey report on 23 June 2017 as they have experienced delays in initiating their survey. The groups further proposed that the final intervention submission date remain 2 June 2017 as set out in the Notice.
In light of this request, Commission staff advises all parties that the following two deadlines associated with the above-noted review are temporarily suspended for all parties to this proceeding:
- The 3 May 2017 deadline for parties to comment on the interventions and responses to requests for information filed by other parties with the Commission; and
- The 2 June 2017 deadline for all parties to file final submissions with the Commission on any matter within the scope of this proceeding.
The suspension will allow the Commission to consider the groups’ procedural request and to determine whether any additional process is required.
The Commission will provide further procedural direction and new deadlines in the near future.
Director, Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer Affairs and Strategic Policy
c.c.: Distribution List
- Bell Aliant Regional Communications, LP email@example.com
- Bell Canada firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bragg Communications Inc. (Eastlink) email@example.com
- Canadian Association of the Deaf / Association des Sourds du Canada firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canadian National Society of the Deaf-Blind, Inc. email@example.com
- Chris Newman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cogeco email@example.com
- Conseil provincial du secteur des communications (CPSC) du Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique (SCFP) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deaf Wireless Canada Consultative Committee / Comité pour les services sans fil des Sourds du Canada email@example.com
- Freedom Mobile Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maple Communications Group Inc. email@example.com
- MTS Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northwestel Inc. email@example.com
- Rogers Communications Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Saskatchewan Telecommunications firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shaw Telecom Inc. email@example.com
- TBayTel firstname.lastname@example.org
- Télébec Limited Partnership email@example.com
- TELUS Communications Company firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vidéotron email@example.com
- Date modified: