Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Samer Bishay (Ice Wireless) and Howard Slawner (Rogers Communications Canada Inc.)
Ottawa, 18 April 2017
Our reference: 8620-J106-201601633
Mr. Samer Bishay
President & CEO
675 Cochrane Drive, 6th floor, East Tower
Markham, Ontario L3R 0B8
Mr. Howard Slawner
Vice President, Regulatory Telecom
Rogers Communications Canada Inc.
350 Bloor Street East, 6th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4A 0A1
Re: Follow-up to Telecom Decision 2017-57– Ice Wireless Inc. – Application regarding roaming on Rogers Communications Canada Inc.’s network by customers of Ice Wireless Inc. and Sugar Mobile Inc.
Dear Mr. Bishay and Mr. Slawner:
In Telecom Decision CRTC 2017-57Footnote1 , the Commission determined that Ice Wireless Inc. (Ice Wireless) had improperly allowed the end-users of Sugar Mobile Inc. (Sugar Mobile) to obtain permanent, rather than incidental, access to Rogers Communications Canada Inc.’s (RCCI) cellular network. The Commission directed Ice Wireless to file the following:
- A report, by 31 March 2017 that
- confirms that Sugar Mobile will stop making unauthorized use of RCCI’s network as of no later than 20 April 2017;
- details how Sugar Mobile plans to comply with this decision and explains how Sugar Mobile plans to communicate with its customers regarding any service changes it may introduce in light of this decision; and
- details discussions held with RCCI that demonstrate that Sugar Mobile’s plans are acceptable to RCCI.
- Confirmation, by 20 April 2017 that Sugar Mobile has implemented the plans set out in the above-mentioned report by
- ceasing its unauthorized use of RCCI’s network; and
- contacting customers about any service changes that were introduced in light of this decision.
The Commission also stated that, should Ice Wireless fail to comply with the directions and continue to permit Sugar Mobile to make unauthorized use of RCCI’s network, RCCI may cease providing mandated wholesale roamingFootnote2 to Ice Wireless starting no earlier than 1 May 2017.
In letters filed with the Commission on 30 March, 3 April, and 7 April 2017, Ice Wireless provided its plan to comply with the decision and requested an extension of the 20 April 2017 delay, citing, amongst other things system updates requirements and that it needed to communicate with many customers and manually assess unauthorized use of RCCI’s network. In a letter dated 11 April 2017 filed with the Commission, RCCI stated that it was generally satisfied by Ice Wireless’ proposal.
In light of the technical and logistical challenges noted in the Ice Wireless submissions and Rogers’ position that it is generally satisfied with Ice Wireless’ proposal, the Commission extends the deadline for Ice Wireless to file confirmation with the Commission that it has implemented its plans from 20 April 2017 to 22 May 2017. In the circumstances, Ice Wireless can proceed with its plans to bring itself into compliance with Telecom Decision 2017-57 having regard to the modified deadline, and that, as agreed between Ice Wireless and RCCI:
- existing Sugar Mobile customers who provided an address that is not within Ice Wireless’ operating territory will be disconnected from their ability to roam on RCCI’s network as of April 20, 2017;
- Sugar Mobile will contact customers that did not provide an address and, if it is determined that these customers are resident outside of Ice Wireless’ operating territory, they will also be disconnected from their ability to roam on RCCI’ network;
- Ice Wireless will manually review the historical end-user roaming data of Sugar Mobile’s end-users for the 90 days preceding 20 April 2017, and send disconnection notices; and
- Ice Wireless will provide RCCI with the percentage of its customer base that it disconnects on both 20 April and 22 May. This information is also to be filed with the Commission.
The Commission also extends the date by which RCCI may cease providing mandated wholesale roaming to Ice Wireless from no earlier than 1 May 2017 to no earlier than 1 June 2017 if Ice Wireless fails to comply with the above.
Original signed by
c.c.: Christian Tacit, email@example.com
- Date modified: