Broadcasting Procedural Letter Addressed to Lenore Gibson (Bell Canada and Bell Express Vu)
Ottawa, 31 August 2017
Senior Counsel, Regulatory Affairs
Bell Canada and Bell ExpressVu
Re: Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2017-160 - Request for clarification
Dear Ms. Gibson,
This letter is in response to the request for clarification by Bell Canada and Bell ExpressVu, dated 15 August 2017, regarding the topics that the Panel may wish to discuss with the licensees at the oral phase of the public hearing commencing on 16 October 2017.
As set out in Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2017-160 and referred to in the Commission’s correspondence dated 27 July 2017, the Commission indicated that, as part of the renewal process, it intends to examine, among other things:
- the renewal of the licences for various broadcasting distribution undertakings, with a focus on compliance with respect to requirements related but not limited to:
- practices relating to the small basic and flexible packaging options;
- community channels; and
- requests for licence amendments, including the addition, amendment or deletion of conditions of licence;
- contributions to Canadian programming; and
- the set-top box audience measurement system and industry working group.
Bell Canada and Bell ExpressVu’s licences are only expiring after 31 May 2018 and, as such, the Commission is not considering the renewal of their licences in the context of the current proceeding. The only information submitted by both licensees and added to the record is with respect to the progress of the set-top box industry working group and the development of a set-top box audience measurement system. Therefore, it can be expected that most questions directed at Bell will focus on these matters.
Notwithstanding this, we note that the Panel retains the discretion to discuss with the licensees appearing at the hearing any issues that are deemed relevant in the context of the proceeding.
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Original signed by
Television Policy and Applications
- Date modified: