Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-74
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 22 December 2016
Ottawa, 16 March 2017
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Thunder Bay and White River, Ontario
CBQT-FM Thunder Bay – New transmitter in White River
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBQT-FM Thunder Bay in order to operate an FM transmitter at White River to rebroadcast the programming of its national English-language network service Radio One. The new low-power FM transmitter will replace the low-power AM transmitter CBLW White River. The Commission received an intervention that was not relevant to this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 97.7 MHz (channel 249LP) with an effective radiated power of 50 watts and an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 24.2 metres.
- The CBC stated that the transmitter will be situated on a new site leased from the city of White River and will improve the quality of the Radio One signal in White River.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 16 March 2019. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: