Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-396
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 1 September 2017
Ottawa, 3 November 2017
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Fredericton and McAdam, New Brunswick
Public record for this application: 2017-0770-5
CBZF-FM Fredericton – New transmitter in McAdam
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBZF-FM Fredericton, New Brunswick, to operate an FM transmitter in McAdam to rebroadcast the programming of its national, English-language network service Radio One. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 95.5 MHz (channel 238LP) with an effective radiated power of 50 watts and an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 29.4 metres.
- The new transmitter will replace the low-power AM transmitter CBAX McAdam, and will be installed on the transmitter tower currently used for CBAX. The CBC stated that the new transmitter will improve the quality of the Radio One signal in McAdam.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power FM undertaking, the Commission reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
- The new transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 3 November 2019. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before that date.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: