Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-355
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 29 May 2017
Ottawa, 6 October 2017
THEMA Canada Inc.
Addition of Canal+ International to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from THEMA Canada Inc. (THEMA Canada), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add Canal+ International, a non-Canadian French-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- THEMA Canada described Canal+ International as a niche service (100% French‑language) featuring general interest programming that targets French expatriates. The service originates in France.
- THEMA Canada’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Public Notice 2000-173 and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that Canal+ International will be neither totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary (i.e., pay or specialty) television services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: