Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2017-33-1
Reference: Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-33
Ottawa, 1 June 2017
File number: 1011-NOC2017-0033
Call for comments
Review of the regulatory framework for text-based message relay services
Revised deadline for submission of replies: 23 June 2017
Revised deadline for filing of final submissions: 14 July 2017
[Submit an intervention or view related documents]
Changes to procedure
- With this notice, the Commission revises certain procedural dates established in Review of the regulatory framework for text-based message relay services, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2017-33 (Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-33).
- By letter dated 10 March 2017, the Canadian Association of the Deaf and the Deaf Wireless Canada Committee (collectively, CAD/DWCC) requested Commission permission to conduct a national survey in English, French, American Sign Language, and Langue des signes québécoise to ensure an inclusive response (particularly from consumers that use message relay services) to the questions posed in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-33.
- On 17 March 2017, Commission staff replied to CAD/DWCC, neither approving nor denying the request to conduct a survey, but rather advising that it is open to them, as well as other parties to the proceeding, to choose the manner in which they undertake the required research and analysis to assist the Commission in developing a better understanding of the matters under consideration.
- In a subsequent letter dated 18 April 2017, CAD/DWCC requested that the Commission allow them to submit a report regarding their survey on 23 June 2017, as they had experienced delays in initiating the survey. They further proposed that the final intervention submission date remain 2 June 2017, as set out in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-33.
- In a letter dated 20 April 2017, Shaw Telecom G.P. (Shaw) supported CAD/DWCC’s 18 April 2017 request, but submitted that all parties to the proceeding would benefit greatly from the opportunity to review and speak to the CAD/DWCC survey report in their final interventions.
- Therefore, Shaw requested that the Commission extend the 2 June 2017 deadline for final interventions to 14 July 2017, or three weeks after the survey report would be placed on the public record. Shaw submitted that this would give all parties sufficient time to review all the evidence on the record of the proceeding when formulating their final interventions.
- Cogeco Communications Inc., Maple Communications Group Inc., Quebecor Media Inc., and Rogers Communications Canada Inc. all agreed with CAD/DWCC’s request, as modified by Shaw’s proposal.
- In order to consider the procedural requests and determine whether any additional process is required, Commission staff issued a letter on 20 April 2017 to advise all parties that the following two deadlines associated with Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-33 were temporarily suspended for all parties to the proceeding:
- The 3 May 2017 deadline for parties to comment on the interventions and responses to requests for information filed by other parties with the Commission; and
- The 2 June 2017 deadline for all parties to file final submissions with the Commission on any matter within the scope of the proceeding.
- The Commission has reviewed the procedural requests and considers it appropriate to
- allow CAD/DWCC to file their intervention and supporting evidence by 23 June 2017;
- allow parties to comment on the interventions and responses to requests for information filed by other parties with the Commission by 23 June 2017; and
- extend the final submission deadline from 2 June 2017 to 14 July 2017, which would give all parties additional time to analyze and provide their views regarding CAD/DWCC’s intervention and supporting evidence.
- Accordingly, the Commission revises certain procedural dates set out in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2017-33 and permits CAD/DWCC to file their intervention and supporting evidence by 23 June 2017. For ease of reference, the relevant paragraphs of the notice are reproduced below, with changes highlighted in bold italics.
25. Parties may comment on the interventions and responses to requests for information filed by other parties with the Commission by 23 June 2017.
26. All parties may file final submissions with the Commission on any matter within the scope of this proceeding, by 14 July 2017. Final submissions, including an executive summary, are not to exceed 15 pages.
- Date modified: