Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-245
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 28 February 2017
Ottawa, 11 July 2017
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Sudbury and Blind River, Ontario
CBON-FM Sudbury – New transmitter in Blind River
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the French-language radio programming undertaking CBON-FM Sudbury, Ontario, to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Blind River that will replace its existing AM transmitter CBON-6 Blind River.
- The new transmitter will operate at 98.5 MHz (channel 253A1) with an effective radiated power of 136 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 7 metres).
- The CBC indicated that the FM transmitter will improve the quality of its ICI Radio-Canada Première signal in Blind River.
- The Commission received a comment from an individual regarding CBON-FM’s two other AM transmitters located in Northern Ontario. The public record for this application can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application number provided above.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 11 July 2019. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before this date.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: