Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-241
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 7 July 2017
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Licensee Call sign and location Application 1905032 Ontario Limited CHYQ-FM Nipissing, Ontario 2016-1049-4 CKDX Radio Limited CKDX-FM Newmarket, Ontario 2016-0636-0 N L Broadcasting Ltd. CKRV-FM Kamloops, British Columbia 2016-0974-4 Peace River Broadcasting Corporation Ltd. (Peace River Broadcasting) CKYL Peace River, Alberta, and its transmitters:
CKYL-FM-1 Peace River
CKYL-FM-2 High Prairie
CKYL-FM-5 Saddle Hills
- InBroadcasting Decision 2017-206, the Commission approved an application by Peace River Broadcasting to operate an English-language commercial FM radio station in Peace River to replace CKYL and its transmitter CKYL-FM-1. As set out in the appendix to that decision, Peace River Broadcasting is authorized to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on CKYL for a transition period of three months following commencement of operations of the FM station. Pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act, and consistent with the licensee’s request, the AM licence renewed in this decision for CKYL will be revoked at the end of the authorized simulcast period.
- The licensees shall adhere to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for each undertaking.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- The Commission expects the licensees to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in their programming and employment practices.
- In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the licensees to consider employment equity issues in their hiring practices and in all other aspects of their management of human resources.
- CKYL Peace River – Conversion to the FM band,Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-206, 20 June 2017
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: