Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-240
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 7 July 2017
Rogers Media Inc.
Various locations in Ontario and Alberta
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Call sign and location Application CFAC Calgary, Alberta 2016-0931-4 CFRV-FM Lethbridge, Alberta 2016-0932-2 CHDI-FM Edmonton, Alberta 2016-0947-1 CHFM-FM Calgary, Alberta, and its transmitter CHFM-FM-1 Banff 2016-0930-7 CHMN-FM Canmore, Alberta, and its transmitter CHMN-FM-1 Banff 2016-0922-3 CHST-FM London, Ontario 2016-0955-4 CHYM-FM Kitchener, Ontario 2016-0925-7 CJOK-FM Fort McMurray, Alberta 2016-0923-1 CJRX-FM Lethbridge, Alberta 2016-0929-9 CKGL Kitchener, Ontario 2016-0928-1 CKIS-FM Toronto, Ontario 2016-0926-5 CKYX-FM Fort McMurray, Alberta, and its transmitter CJOK-1-FM Tar Island 2016-0924-9
- The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-240
Terms, conditions of licence and expectations for the commercial radio programming undertakings for which the broadcasting licence have been renewed in this decision
The licence will expire 31 August 2024.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditionsof licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CHDI-FM Edmonton
- As an exception to the requirements set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) and subject to section 2.2(6) of the Regulations, the licensee shall devote 40% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety:
- during each broadcast week; and
- between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. in any period beginning on a Monday and ending on Friday of the same week.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Regulations.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CKIS-FM Toronto
- The licensee shall, in any broadcast week, devote 40% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Radio Regulations, 1986.
Expectation applicable to all stations
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
Additional expectation applicable to CKIS-FM Toronto
The Commission expects the licensee to broadcast, on a daily basis, local programming consisting of news bulletins, sports and events specific to the communities that CKIS-FM Toronto is licensed to serve.
- Date modified: