Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-231
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 5 July 2017
Various locations across Canada
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Licensee Call sign and location Application MacEachern Broadcasting Limited CIGO-FM Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia 2016-1005-6 Radio CJLS Limited CJLS-FM Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, and its transmitters CJLS-FM-1 New Tusket, CJLS‑FM-2 Barrington and CJLS-FM-3 Yarmouth 5777152 Manitoba Ltd. CJVM-FM Virden, Manitoba 2016-0982-7 Radio Edmunston Inc. CJEM-FM Edmunston, New Brunswick, and its transmitter CKMV-FM Grand-Falls 2016-0911-6 Quinte Broadcasting Company Limited CIGL-FM Belleville, Ontario 2016-0563-5
- The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-231
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the commercial radio programming undertakings renewed in this decision
The licence will expire 31 August 2024.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CJVM-FM Virden, Manitoba
- To fulfill its outstanding commitments to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in condition of licence 2 of the appendix to English-language FM radio station in Virden, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-762, 14 October 2010, the licensee shall make an annual contribution of $100 in each of the 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 broadcast years in addition to the requirements set out in section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986.
Of this amount, the licensee shall allocate no less than 20% to FACTOR. The remainder shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CIGL-FM Belleville, Ontario
- In addition to the requirements set out in section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986, the licensee shall contribute $400 per broadcast year to FACTOR.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: