Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-212
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 22 June 2017
Corus Radio Company
Corus Premium Television Ltd.
Various locations in Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Licensee Call sign and location Application Corus Radio Company CFPL London, Ontario 2016-0877-0 CFNY-FM Brampton, Ontario 2016-0878-8 CKDK-FM Woodstock, Ontario 2016-0881-1 CFPL-FM London, Ontario 2016-0882-9 CHQT Edmonton, Alberta 2016-0885-3 CHAY-FM Barrie, Ontario 2016-0886-1 CISN-FM Edmonton, Alberta 2016-0888-7 Corus Premium Television Ltd. CHED Edmonton, Alberta 2016-0883-7 CJOB Winnipeg, Manitoba 2016-0884-5 CKNG-FM Edmonton, Alberta 2016-0889-5
- The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- Because these licensees are subject to the Employment Equity Act and file reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, their employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-212
Terms, conditions of licence and expectation for the commercial radio programming undertakings renewed in this decision
The licence will expire 31 August 2024.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- The licensee shall provide commercially reasonable access to advertising availabilities to unrelated operators of broadcasting undertakings and telecommunications service providers.
Additional conditions of licence applicable to CHQT Edmonton, Alberta
- The licensee shall, as an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986, in any broadcast week where at least 90% of musical selections from content category 2 that it broadcasts are selections released before 1 January 1981:
- in that broadcast week, devote 30% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety; and
- between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., in the period beginning on Monday of that week and ending on Friday of the same broadcast week, devote 30% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
- The licensee shall specify, on the music lists it provides to the Commission, the year of release for all musical selections it broadcasts.
For the purposes of these conditions, the terms “broadcast week”, “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Radio Regulations, 1986.
Expectation applicable to all stations
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
- Date modified: