Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-19
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 17 November 2016
Ottawa, 24 January 2017
Stingray Digital Group Inc.
Addition of DJAZZ to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Stingray Digital Group Inc. (Stingray), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add DJAZZ to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Stingray described DJAZZ as a 24-hour niche service (80% English-language and 20% French-language) that provides a full range of jazz programming—from swing to bebop to contemporary jazz—including concerts from around the world, recording sessions, club gigs, interviews, video clips and related documentary programs. Programming is offered in full high definition (HD) in Dolby Digital audio, and vintage content is converted to standard HD. The service originates from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and targets jazz lovers.
- Stingray's request is in line with the Commission's general approach, as set out in Public Notice 2000-173 and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that DJAZZ will be neither totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary (i.e., pay or specialty) television services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: