Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-123
Ottawa, 1 May 2017
TELUS Communications Inc., and 1219723 Alberta ULC in partnership with TELUS Communications Inc. in TELE-MOBILE Company, partners in a general partnership carrying on business as TELUS Communications Company
Kelowna, Nanaimo, Penticton, Prince George, Terrace, Vancouver (including Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and Whistler, and their surrounding areas), Vernon and Victoria, British Columbia; Calgary, Edmonton (including St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove and Stony Plain), Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie and Red Deer, Alberta; Baie-Comeau, Gaspé, Montmagny, Mont Tremblant, Rimouski, Saint Georges, Sainte-Marie and Sept-Îles, and their surrounding areas, Quebec; and across Canada
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
27 March 2017
Various terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings; video-on-demand service; and pay-per-view service – Corporate reorganization
- The Commission approves the application by TELUS Communications Inc. (TCI), and 1219723 Alberta ULC in partnership with TCI in TELE-MOBILE Company, partners in a general partnership carrying on business as TELUS Communications Company (TCC), for authority to effect a corporate reorganization within the partnership, and for new broadcasting licences to continue the operation of TCC’s terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) serving the above-noted localities, its national video‑on-demand (VOD) service, and its unlaunched pay-per-viewFootnote 1 (PPV) service under the same terms and conditions as those set out in the current licences. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The corporate reorganization approved in this decision involves a change at the partner’s level of TELE-MOBILE Company. Upon completion of the corporate reorganization, Emergis Inc. will be amalgamated in TCI, and will cease to exist as a separate entity.
- This reorganization will not affect the effective control of the TCC, which will continue to be exercised by TCI, a wholly-owned subsidiary of TELUS Corporation, a widely held public corporation controlled by its board of directors.
- Upon surrender of the current licences issued to TELUS Communications Inc., and 1219723 Alberta ULC and Emergis Inc. in partnership with TELUS Communications Inc. in TELE-MOBILE Company, partners in a general partnership carrying on business as TELUS Communications Company for the terrestrial BDUs and the VOD service, the Commission will issue new broadcasting licences to TCC to continue the operation of the services under the same terms and conditions as those in effect under the current licences. In regard to the PPV service, the Commission will issue a broadcasting licence to TCC upon launch of the service. The PPV service will be subject to the terms and conditions of licence set out in the appendix to Terrestrial pay-per-view service, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-368, 14 July 2014, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- The Commission directs TCC to file, within 30 days of the date of this decision, executed copies of all corporate documents (including but not limited to partnership agreements, partnership registrations, certificates and articles of incorporation, bylaws, certificates and articles of dissolution, and certificates and articles of amalgamation).
- Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Employment and Social Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: