Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Distribution List
Ottawa, 19 September 2016
To: Distribution List
Re: TELUS Communications Company’s Part 1 Application, Show cause proceeding for use of deferral account funds to improve access to telecommunication services for persons with disabilities – Revised timelines and request for information
TELUS Communications Company (TELUS) filed an application with the Commission on 19 July 2016 regarding the use of its deferral account funds to improve access to telecommunication services for persons with disabilities. This letter is further to a Commission staff letter dated 25 August 2016 where Commission staff stated that it would set a revised timeline for the intervention period and corresponding reply period for this process, following TELUS’ filing of a non-confidential version of Appendix B.
Commission staff would like to seek clarification on the submissions by TELUS and ask that interested parties please provide responses to the following requests for information no later than 3 October 2016.
- If all deferral account funds are not depleted through the approval of initiatives currently on the record, what would be an appropriate use of the remaining funds? Please provide supporting rationale.
- In its application, TELUS stated that the Code Factory Mobile Accessibility Application is an initiative that is greatly affected by the advent of technological change and, as a result, no longer presents a significant new accessibility benefit due to an increasing number of devices that already include accessibility features. Do the accessibility features described by TELUS in its application provide the same level of service as Code Factory’s Mobile Accessibility Application?
- In its application, TELUS stated that it does not wish to commit funds to offering the Tecla Access Solution with a compatible smartphone packaged as a lower-priced bundle for at least five years. TELUS’ provided that Alternate Input Devices are supported on the Apple iPhone 6 Plus and the Samsung Galaxy S6 as its rationale. Do the Alternate Input Devices supported on the Apple iPhone 6s and Samsung Galaxy S6 provide the same level of service as the Tecla Access Solution?
Set out below are the revised dates for the intervention period and TELUS’ reply period:
- Interested parties and those parties that had already filed an intervention may file new or amended interventions by 8 November 2016;
- TELUS may file reply comments by 21 November 2016.
[Original signed by]
Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer Affairs and Strategic Policy
c.c.: Meghan Zwiers, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Edora, email@example.com
Isabell Morneau, ISABELLE.MORNEAU@telus.com
Neil Squire Society, firstname.lastname@example.org; Harry Lew email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Anthony Tibbs, Media Access Canada, email@example.com; Beverley Milligan, Media Access Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org; Diane Bergeron, email@example.com; Lui Greco, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: