ARCHIVED - Telecom Commission Letter addressed to Philippe Gauvin (Bell Canada)
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 29 July 2016
Our reference: 8740-A53-201607384
Mr. Philippe Gauvin
Senior Legal Counsel
160 Elgin Street
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 2C4
RE: Tariff Notice 495 – Fibre to the Home
On 15 July 2016, the Commission received an application from Bell Aliant, under Tariff Notice 495 (TN 495), in which the company proposed to modify General Tariff Item CRTC 21491, Item 280 – Fibre to the Home (FTTH).
Paragraph 28(1)(a) of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure provides that the Commission may request parties to file information or documents where needed.
Bell Aliant is requested to provide comprehensive answers, including rationale and any supporting information, to the attached questions by 15 August 2016.
Additionally, please note that the calling features appearing in the proposed tariff page enclosed with the application are not accurately referenced to the applicable provision in Item 304 of the General Tariff. Specifically:
- Visual Call Waiting: The reference should correctly read “Item 304.1(b) – Custom Calling Services (CCS) (viii)”, as opposed to “Item 304.1(viii)”.
- Busy Call Return: The reference should correctly read “Item 304.1(b) – Call Management Services (CMS) (iv)”, as opposed to “Item 304.a. (iv)”.
- Intercom: The reference should correctly read “Item 304.1(b) – Custom Calling Services (CCS) (v)”, as opposed to “Item 304.1(b)(v)”.
- Speed Calling: the reference should correctly read “Item 304.1(b) – Custom Calling Services (CCS) (vi)”, as opposed to “Item 304.1(b)(vi)”.
Accordingly, please file an amended proposed tariff page under TN 495 to reflect the required corrections.
Since Commission staff is continuing its analysis of TN 495, this application, along with any associated subsequent revisions, will not be approved on an interim basis on the 15th calendar day following receipt. However, the Commission intends to dispose of this application, along with any associated subsequent revisions, within 45 business days of receipt of the filing.
Original signed by
Director, Dispute Resolution and Regulatory Implementation
c.c: Rudy Rab, CRTC, 819-994-3416, email@example.com
Request for information
- The application states: “This new platform will generally be used for new installations only; however, existing customers may be moved to the new platform over time. Certain additional minor exclusions, as shown on the attached revised tariff page, will apply to customers served over the FTTH facilities on the new platform.”
- Why the exclusion of certain Optional Voice Services caused by the introduction of a new delivery platform for Fibre to the Home (FTTH) Voice Access Service, coupled with the potential migration of existing FTTH customers to the new delivery platform over time, does not represent either a destandardization or a withdrawal of these Optional Voice Services for the affected customers.
- Under what circumstances existing customers may be shifted to the new FTTH delivery platform, and how they will be notified about the move and resulting loss of Optional Voice Services.
At paragraph 2 of the application, the company states:
- The application states: “Finally, Visual call Waiting will not be available on the new platform; however, Visual Call Waiting Deluxe, which includes the functionality in the Visual Call Waiting feature, will be available.” Please explain why Item 280.1.(d)(1) in the current tariff, regarding Visual Call Waiting Deluxe not being available, has been removed given that existing customers on the original FTTH platform will not have access to this Optional Voice Service. Note that the reference to Visual Call Waiting Deluxe in the existing tariff Item 280.1.(d)(1) should correctly read “Item 304.1(b) - Custom Calling Services (CCS)(ix)”, as opposed to “Item 304.1(ix)”.
- Date modified: