Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Rick Wadsworth (Sandvine)
Ottawa, 22 July 2016
Our reference: 1011-NOC2016-0192
Mr. Rick Wadsworth
Director, Corporate Communications
408 Albert Street
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3V3
Re: Examination of differential practices related to Internet data plans, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-192, 22 July 2016 – Requests for Information
Pursuant to paragraph 37 of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2016-192, attached are requests for information from the Commission.
Responses to these requests for information are to be filed with the Commission by 12 August 2016. The responses must be received, not merely sent, by this date.
Original signed by
Senior Manager, Strategic Planning and Research
c.c.: Suneil Kanjeekal, CRTC, 613-668-6561, firstname.lastname@example.org
Josiane Lord, CRTC, 819-576-2568, email@example.com
Eric Macfarlane, CRTC, 819-997-4389, Eric.Macfarlane@crtc.gc.ca
- Considering your intervention with respect to permitting differential pricing of certain categories, classes, types, etc. of applications:
- Define precisely what categories of service for which you think differential pricing would be acceptable
- What criteria you would use to define categories of service?
- What services would be included and excluded from them, why?
- How would the distinction between categories of service be compliant with section 27(2) of the Telecommunications Act.
- Explain how, technically, you would identify data from those categories of service for differential pricing purposes.
- Explain whether your suggested approach to identify data from those categories of service would be compatible with the different privacy requirements currently in place in Canada, including those from the Commission’s Internet traffic management practices framework.
- Explain whether the use of a virtual private network (VPN) would impede an end-customers’ ability to access zero-rated content in your suggested approach.
- Date modified: