Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Kurt Eby (Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association)
Ottawa, 22 July 2016
Our reference: 1011-NOC2016-0116
Director, Regulatory Affairs and Government Relations
Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association
Re: Establishment of a regulatory framework for next-generation 9-1-1 in Canada, Telecom Notice of Consultation 2016-116 – Requests for information
Dear Mr. Eby,
Pursuant to the procedure set out in Establishment of a regulatory framework for next-generation 9-1-1 in Canada, Telecom Notice of Consultation 2016-116, 29 March 2016, attached are requests for information addressed to the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association.
Responses to these requests for information are to be filed with the Commission by 23 August 2016.
Original signed by Kim Wardle for/
A/Director, Competition and Emergency Services Policy
c.c. Renée Doiron, CRTC, 819-997-2755, Renee.Doiron@crtc.gc.ca
James Ndirangu, CRTC, 819-997-3670, James.Ndirangu@crtc.gc.ca
- In paragraphs 32 to 34 of its intervention, Calgary 9-1-1 submitted that developing an NG9‑1-1 mobile application may provide a transparent, end-to-end connection between users and PSAPs.
- Provide your view on the feasibility, benefits, and/or challenges of developing such an application, which entities should be responsible for developing and managing such an application, and if such an application should be built for use across Canada.
- Provide your view on the functionality that could be provided via a mobile application.
- Provide your view on the feasibility, benefits, and/or challenges of funnelling voice and text messages in which emergency responses are requested via a mobile application.
- Provide your view on whether a mobile application could be used to collect additional user-inputted data, the data that should be collected, as well as the benefits and challenges of this approach.
- Are you aware of other countries that have developed mobile applications and, if so, what lessons were learned?
- Leveraging lessons learned during the recent rollout of Text with 9-1-1 for Canadians who are Deaf, hard of hearing, or have a communication disability, should the rollout of NG9-1-1 services be coordinated and rolled out at the regional, provincial, or individual PSAP level? Explain the benefits, challenges, and risk mitigation strategies associated with your proposal.
- Date modified: