Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Distribution List
Ottawa, 24 May 2016
Our reference: 1011-NOC2016-0192
Re: Examination of differential practices related to Internet data plans, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-192, 17 May 2016 – Requests for Information
Dear Madam, Sir:
Pursuant to paragraph 37 of Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-192, attached are requests for information from the Commission. The music application providers from the Unlimited Music file in the distribution list are to file responses to the questions set out in the attachment by 17 June 2016. Other parties not specifically directed to respond to these interrogatories are invited to do so. These submissions must be received, not merely sent, by that date.
Original signed by
Strategic Research and Planning
c.c.: Suneil Kanjeekal, CRTC, (613) 668-6561, firstname.lastname@example.org
Josiane Lord, CRTC, (819)576-2568, email@example.com
Eric Macfarlane, CRTC (819) 997-4389, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8tracks, Jonathan Barnes, email@example.com
- AUDIOADDICT INC. (Digitally Imported, JAZZRADIO.com, RadioTunes, ROCKRADIO.com), Emily McCullough, firstname.lastname@example.org
- BANDCAMP INC., David Dufresne, email@example.com
- Google Inc. (Google Music), Jason Kee, firstname.lastname@example.org
- GROUPE ANALEKTA INC., Julie Fournier, email@example.com
- NATURAL CUT SAS (Jango), Daniel Wharton, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Odyssey Music Group / Deezer SA, Elsa Dobler, email@example.com
- SLACKER INC., Steve Cotter, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stingray Digital Group Inc., Lloyd Feldman, email@example.com; Annie J. Francoeur, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spotify USA Inc., Phillip Eubanks, PhillipEubanks@spotify.com
- Are any of your applications subject to exempt or discount data charges on their internet data plans in Canada or in other jurisdictions? If so,
- Provide a list of jurisdictions in which differential pricing for your application(s) applies and identify the provider offering the internet data plan
- Under what terms and conditions are these applications provided?
- Describe the impact of such differential pricing practices with respect to demand for your applications
- Did it attract new customers?
- Did it increase traffic to your applications materially?
- If traffic increased, was it due to more traffic by existing customers or new customers?
- Describe any promotions or service offerings you are aware of in jurisdictions outside of Canada that are being offered by Internet Service Providers (ISPs)Footnote 1 that exempt or discount data usage charges on their internet data plans over their wireline or wireless (mobile, fixed wireless access and satellite) networks.
- Footnote 1
For the purposes of this proceeding Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are defined as service providers offering retail internet access services over wireline or wireless networks including the commercial mobile networks operated by Wireless Carriers.
- Date modified: