Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-470
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 30 September 2016
Ottawa, 2 December 2016
Addition of MBC Drama HD to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from InsightEdge Inc. (InsightEdge), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add MBC Drama HD, a non-Canadian third-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- InsightEdge described MBC Drama HD as a 24-hour niche service (100% Korean-language with English subtitles) that provides high-quality dramas and movies drawn from one of South Korea’s largest terrestrial broadcasters, Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation. The service originates from South Korea, and its target audience will be Canadians of Korean descent and all other Canadians who love Korean dramas.
- As set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list are generally approved, subject to any requirements the Commission deems appropriate. Non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming are subject to the same approach as non-Canadian general interest third-language services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis,Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: