Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-373
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 19 July 2016
Ottawa, 12 September 2016
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Addition of TVI Internacional to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves the application by Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add TVI Internacional, a non-Canadian third-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- ECGL described TVI Internacional as a 24-hour general interest service (100% Portuguese-language) providing a range of programming including news, entertainment, dramas, soaps and talk shows. The service originates from Lisbon, Portugal, and targets Portuguese speaking individuals and persons interested in Portuguese-language television programming.
- As set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list are generally approved, subject to any requirements the Commission deems appropriate.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services - Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services - A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: