Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-302
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 1 April 2016
Ottawa, 1 August 2016
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
CBN St. John’s – New FM transmitter in St. John’s
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBN St. John’s to operate an FM transmitter in St. John’s in order to rebroadcast the programming of its national English-language network service Radio One. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 88.5 MHz (channel 203B1) with an effective radiated power of 3,612 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 221.0 metres).
- The CBC indicated that the new transmitter would improve the quality of its Radio One signal in St. John’s and surrounding areas.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 1 August 2018. To ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: