Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-219
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 1 February 2016
Ottawa, 8 June 2016
CIAM Media & Radio Broadcasting Association
Fort Vermilion and Taber, Alberta
CIAM-FM Fort Vermilion - New transmitter in Taber
- The Commission approves the application by CIAM Media & Radio Broadcasting Association (CIAM) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language community radio programming undertaking CIAM-FM Fort Vermilion, Alberta to operate a low-power rebroadcasting transmitter in Taber. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 89.3 MHz (channel 207LP) with an effective radiated power of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 25.85 metres).
- The licensee stated that the people of Taber and nearby Aboriginal reserves expressed an interest in receiving the CIAM-FM signal in their community. The rebroadcasting transmitter will broadcast the programming of CIAM-FM Fort Vermilion, which will include distinct Taber community-related content, such as community messages, emergency information, weather and road conditions.
- The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power unprotected FM transmitter, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 8 June 2018. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: