Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-172
References: Part 1 applications posted on 2 and 9 March 2016
Ottawa, 5 May 2016
TerraTerra Communications Inc.
Applications 2016-0209-5 and 2016-0220-2
Addition of Melody and Seasons to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves applications from TerraTerra Communications Inc. (TerraTerra), acting as Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian French-language services Melody and Seasons to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- TerraTerra described Melody as a 24-hour niche service (100% French-language) featuring programming devoted to French, Swiss, Belgian and Quebec French-language music, variety and cinema from the 60s to the 90s. The service originates in France and targets families, music-lovers and fans of the 60s to 90s era.
- TerraTerra described Seasons as a niche service (100% French-language) featuring programming devoted to hunting and fishing. The service originates in France and targets hunting and fishing enthusiasts in Quebec.
- TerraTerra’s applications are in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Public Notice 2000-173 and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based primarily on the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that Melody and Seasons will be neither totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary (pay or specialty) television services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: