Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-113
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 17 December 2015
Ottawa, 24 March 2016
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Addition of Nautical Channel to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to add Nautical Channel to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list), and amends the list accordingly. The revised list can be found on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca, by clicking on "TV & Radio," "Programming" and "Access to programs on TV that aren't Canadian."
- The Commission received an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add Nautical Channel, a non-Canadian primarily English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
- ECGL described Nautical Channel as a niche service (90% English-language, 10% French-language) providing compelling and high quality programming for nautical sports enthusiasts and audiences interested in nautical lifestyle programming from around the world. The service's target audience is nautical and water enthusiasts. The service originates from the United Kingdom.
Commission's analysis and decision
- The Commission's general approach to the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list is set out in Public Notice 2000-173, and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100. Under this approach, the Commission assesses such requests in the context of its general policy, which, among other things, precludes the addition of a non-Canadian service that can be considered either totally or partially competitive with Canadian specialty or pay television services.
- In assessing the competitiveness of a service, the Commission relies primarily on the comments filed to identify the Canadian pay and specialty services with which a proposed non-Canadian service might be totally or partially competitive.
- In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the application by Ethnic Channels Group Limited to add Nautical Channel to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The revised list can be found on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca by clicking on "TV & Radio," "Programming" and "Access to programs on TV that aren't Canadian," and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: