ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-426
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 17 September 2015
Sound of Faith Broadcasting
Application 2014-1149-6, received 10 November 2014
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
30 April 2015
Christian music FM radio station in Kitchener
- The Commission approves the application by Sound of Faith Broadcasting for a broadcasting licence to operate an English-language specialty FM radio programming undertaking to provide a Christian music service in Kitchener, Ontario. The new station will operate at 93.7 MHz (channel 229A) with an effective radiated power of 420 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 58 metres). The Commission received interventions in support of this application. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Sound of Faith Broadcasting is a not-for-profit corporation controlled by its board of directors.
- The new station will replace the applicant’s existing low-power specialty (Christian music) radio station CJTW-FM Kitchener, which operates at 94.3 MHz. The Commission imposed two consecutive short licence terms for CJTW-FM due to the station’s non-compliance with regulatory requirements. Consequently, the new station will be bound by the same licence term as CJTW-FM. Its licence will therefore expire on 31 August 2018.
- The new station will offer music and spoken word shows, programs produced by different ethnic groups and shows on health, the arts and financial issues, all with a “faith” perspective. It will also broadcast news, weather as well as traffic reports and will promote events. The station will broadcast 126 hours of programming each broadcast week, of which 95 hours will be local programming. The remaining 31 hours will consist of syndicated programming produced by various Christian ministries. The applicant stated that it intends to broadcast an average of four hours of Aboriginal- and third-language programming each broadcast week.
- Most of the musical programming (95%) will be drawn from content subcategory 35 (non-classic religious). The applicant also committed to devote, by condition of licence, 15% of its musical selections from content category 3 (Special Interest Music) to Canadian musical selections, rather than the 10% minimum level required by the Radio Regulations, 1986. Conditions of licence to this effect are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Sound of Faith Broadcasting confirmed that it will adhere to the Commission’s guidelines on balance and ethics as set out in Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993, in which the Commission stated that stations that broadcast religious programming have an obligation to offer differing views on matters of public concern, including religious matters. A condition of licence to this effect is set out in the appendix to this decision.
- As set out in the appendix to this decision, Sound of Faith Broadcasting is authorized to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on CJTW-FM Kitchener for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operations of the new station. Pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act and consistent with the licensee’s request, the Commission revokes the broadcasting licence for CJTW-FM effective at the end of the simulcast period.
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-426
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the English-language specialty (Christian music) FM radio programming undertaking in Kitchener, Ontario
The licence will expire 31 August 2018.
The station will operate at 93.7 MHz (channel 229A) with an effective radiated power of 420 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 58 metres).
The Commission reminds the applicant that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, no licence may be issued until the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
Furthermore, the Commission will only issue a licence for this undertaking once the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 17 September 2017. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before this date.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, with the exception of condition of licence 7.
- The station shall be operated within the Specialty format as defined in A Review of certain matters concerning radio, Public Notice CRTC 1995-60, 21 April 1995, and Revised content categories and subcategories for radio, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-819, 5 November 2010.
- The licensee shall devote a minimum of 95% of all musical selections broadcast during each broadcast week to selections drawn from subcategory 35 (Non-classic religious).
- The licensee shall devote a minimum of 15% of musical selections from content category 3 (Special interest music) broadcast each broadcast week to Canadian selections.
- Where the licensee broadcasts religious programming as defined in Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993, the licensee shall adhere to the guidelines set out in sections III.B.2.a) and IV of that public notice with respect to the provision of balance and ethics in religious programming, as amended from time to time.
- The licensee is authorized to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on its low-power station CJTW-FM Kitchener for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operations of the new FM station.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: