ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-314
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 28 April 2015
Ottawa, 15 July 2015
City Church Halifax
Spryfield, Nova Scotia
CIRP-FM Spryfield – Technical change
The Commission approves an application to change the authorized contours of the English-language, low-power specialty (Christian music) radio station CIRP-FM Spryfield.
The change will improve the quality of the signal that CIRP-FM provides to Spryfield residents.
- In Broadcasting Decisions 2013-723 and 2015-107, the Commission denied applications by City Church Halifax to increase the transmitter power of the English-language, low-power specialty (Christian music) radio station CIRP-FM Spryfield, Nova Scotia, given that approval would have allowed the station to expand its service into the Halifax radio market. However, the Commission acknowledged that CIRP-FM did suffer from legitimate reception issues and indicated that other solutions existed that could improve service to Spryfield and neighbouring communities while avoiding an expansion of the service toward the Halifax market area.
- Subsequently, City Church Halifax filed an application to change the authorized contours of CIRP-FM by increasing the effective height of antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) from 22 to 25.5 metres. All other technical parameters would remain unchanged. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The applicant indicated that the proposed amendment is necessary to improve the station’s quality of signal primarily within its current coverage area, which is subject to signal deficiencies due to its unique topography, by filling in certain reception gaps.
Commission’s analysis and decision
- The Commission finds that the proposed technical solution to improve CIRP-FM’s signal is appropriate given that the proposed increase in coverage is minimal and that the station would continue to operate at low-power with an unprotected status.
- In light of the above, the Commission approves the application by City Church Halifax to change the authorized contours of the English-language, low-power specialty (Christian music) radio programming undertaking CIRP-FM Spryfield, Nova Scotia, by increasing the EHAAT from 22 to 25.5 metres.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- CIRP-FM Spryfield – Technical changes, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-107, 27 March 2015
- CIRP-FM Halifax – Licence amendment and technical change, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-723, 19 December 2013
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: