ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-292
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 19 March 2015
Ottawa, 3 July 2015
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Québec, Malartic and Val-d’Or, Quebec
CBVE-FM Québec – New transmitter in Malartic
The Commission approves an application to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio station CBVE-FM Québec to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Malartic.
The new transmitter will replace the AM transmitters CBMN Malartic and CBML Val-d’Or, and will improve the quality of the signal for listeners in those areas.
- The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) filed an application to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio station CBVE-FM Québec, Quebec, to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Malartic to replace its existing AM transmitters CBMN Malartic and CBML Val-d’Or.
- The new transmitter would operate at 101.1 MHz (channel 266B) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 22,800 watts (maximum ERP of 50,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) of 189.1 metres).
- The CBC indicated that this amendment is necessary to improve the coverage and quality of its Radio One signal in Amos, Val-d’Or and Malartic.
- The Commission received an intervention commenting on this application from an individual. The public record for this application can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application number provided above.
- The intervener stated its desire that the proposed transmitter’s contours also cover the service areas of the Radio One AM transmitter CBMM Senneterre.
Commission’s analysis and decision
- While the proposed FM rebroadcasting transmitter would not entirely cover CBMM’s service area, CBMM will remain in operation. Moreover, the CBC indicated in its application that once the new transmitter is on the air, it will proceed to field measurements in the area of Senneterre to assess the need to maintain the CBMM transmitter.
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBVE-FM Québec, Quebec, to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Malartic to replace its existing AM transmitters CBMN Malartic and CBML Val-d’Or.
- The new transmitter will operate at 101.1 MHz (channel 266B) with an average ERP of 22,800 watts (maximum ERP of 50,000 watts an EHAAT of 189.1 metres).
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: