ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-270
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 22 June 2015
Southern Onkwehon:we Nishinabec Indigenous Communications Society Inc.
Application 2014-0870-9, received 29 August 2014
CKRZ-FM Ohsweken – Licence renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the Type B Native FM radio programming undertaking CKRZ-FM Ohsweken from 1 September 2015 to 31 August 2022. The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in the appendix to this decision as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
- In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2015-52, CKRZ-FM was listed as being in apparent non-compliance with the regulatory requirement to file annual returns. For the 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 broadcast years, the licensee filed annual returns for the wrong reporting period and did not include financial statements. In response to a Commission letter, the licensee submitted the missing financial statements in December 2014.
- The licensee is responsible for filing complete annual returns on time and must ensure that they cover the appropriate broadcast years (that is the period commencing on 1 September of a given year and ending on 31 August of the following year). In addition, as set out in Broadcasting Information Bulletin 2011-795, it is the licensee’s responsibility to ensure that all appropriate forms and documentation (such as the financial statements) are included with its annual returns and to contact the Commission if further clarification is required.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-270
Conditions of licence and encouragement for the Type B Native FM radio programming undertaking CKRZ-FM Ohsweken, Ontario
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall devote, in each broadcast week, at least 35% of all musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition of licence, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Radio Regulations, 1986.
- If the licensee originates 42 or more hours of programming in any broadcast week, it shall adhere to the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Equitable Portrayal Code, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission, and to the Broadcast Code for Advertising to Children, as amended from time to time and approved by the Commission.
Where the licensee intends on carrying wrap-around programming, the Commission encourages it to use programming from another Aboriginal station or network with a focus on additional Aboriginal-language programming (Cree/Dene/Chipewyan) or current Aboriginal music.
- Date modified: