ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-230
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 8 January 2015
Ottawa, 29 May 2015
Addition of Radio Télévision Guinéenne (RTG) to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to add Radio Télévision Guinéenne (RTG) to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list) and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca, by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming.”
The Commission received an application from Bell Canada, acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add Radio Télévision Guinéenne (RTG) to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
Bell Canada described Radio Télévision Guinéenne (RTG) as a 97.25% French-language (the remaining 2.75% is in National languages, specifically, Fula, Maninka and Susu) general interest service carrying family-oriented programming including entertainment, news and general information for Africans living abroad. Its target audience would be Africans living in Canada. The service originates from the Republic of Guinea.
The Commission’s general approach to the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list is set out in Public Notice 2000-173, and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100. Under this approach, the Commission assesses such requests in the context of its general policy, which, among other things, precludes the addition of a non-Canadian service that can be considered either totally or partially competitive with Canadian specialty or pay television services.
Commission’s analysis and decision
In assessing the competitiveness of a service, the Commission relies primarily on the comments filed to identify the Canadian pay and specialty services with which a proposed non-Canadian service might be totally or partially competitive.
In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the application by Bell Canada to add Radio Télévision Guinéenne (RTG) to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming,” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services - Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: