ARCHIVED - Telecom Commission Letter Addressed to Brad Cathers (Yukon Government) and Dallas Yeulett (Northwestel Inc.)
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 19 August 2014
Our references: 8740-N1-201407586 and 8665-Y15-201407247
Honorable Brad Cathers
Minister of Community Services
PO BOX 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Mr. Dallas Yeulett
PO BOX 2727
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 4Y4
RE: Yukon Government’s Emergency Response Auto-Select Service
On July 25 2014 the Commission received a Part 1 application, filed by the Yukon Government, proposing the implementation of an interim Emergency Response Auto select service that would provide callers within all communities of the Yukon Territory – excluding Whitehorse, where basic 9-1-1 service is available – with access to an interactive response menu directing calls to 9-1-1 to an appropriate community emergency response agency.
On 6 August 2014, the Commission also received an application from Northwestel Inc. (Northwestel), under Tariff Notice 917 (TN 917), in which the company proposed to introduce the Emergency Response Auto Select service at the request of the Yukon Government.
As both applications relate to the introduction of the same service, they will be combined into one process for the purposes of efficiency. All documents filed with respect to these applications will be included on the record for both the Part 1 and the Northwestel Tariff Notice 917 applications.
Furthermore, in order to assist in disposing of these applications, Commission staff requests that the Yukon Government and Northwestel respond to the attached questions.
Consequently, the Tariff Notice 917 application, along with any associated subsequent revisions, will not be disposed of by the 45th calendar day following receipt.
Commission staff modifies the procedure set out in the CRTC Rules of Practice and Procedure as follows:
- Response to attached questions by 25 August 2014
- Interested parties may file an intervention or response by 29 August 2014
- The applicants may file their replies by 8 September 2014
These submissions must be received and not merely sent, by that date.
Original signed by Renée Doiron for
Director, Regulatory Implementation
c. c. : James Ndirangu, CRTC, 819-997-3670, email@example.com
Yukon Government Part 1 application on Emergency Response Auto-Select Service and Northwestel Tariff Notice 917 application.
- Commission staff notes that in previous Commission decisions related to the provision of telecommunication services that are used to provide access to emergency services the Commission has required that notification be provided to inform consumers about the availability, characteristics, and limitations of the service, for example in Telecom Decision 2005-61Footnote 1.
- Comment on the appropriateness of providing consumer notification regarding the availability, characteristics, and limitations of the proposed Emergency Response Auto-Select service as compared to Basic 9-1-1 currently provided in Whitehorse and surrounding areas, and Enhanced 9-1-1 available elsewhere in Canada.
- Comment on how and when you intend to educate consumers and the public on the availability, characteristics, and limitations of the proposed Emergency Response Auto-Select service.
- Footnote 1
Telecom Decision 2005-61 - Follow-up to Emergency service obligations for local VoIP service providers, Decision 2005-21 - Customer notification requirements
- Date modified: