ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-72
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 13 November 2013
Ottawa, 19 February 2014
Soundview Entertainment Inc.
Addition of Zaiqa TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to addZaiqa TVto the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list). The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector.”
1. The Commission received an application from Soundview Entertainment Inc. (Soundview) to add Zaiqa TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any comments regarding this application.
2. Soundview described Zaiqa TV as a 24-hour Urdu-language niche food channel consisting of programs and vignettes of expert Pakistani chefs. Its target audience would be Urdu-speaking Canadians who appreciate Pakistani cooking, and its programming would be sourced from Pakistan.
3. In Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, the Commission stated that requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list would generally be approved, subject to any requirement it deemed appropriate. In Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, the Commission stated that non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming would be subject to the same approach as non-Canadian general interest third-language services.
Commission’s analysis and decision
4. In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the application by Soundview Entertainment Inc. to add Zaiqa TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: