ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-478
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2014-102
Ottawa, 15 September 2014
Touch Canada Broadcasting (2006) Inc. (the general partner) and C.R.A. Investments Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Touch Canada Broadcasting Limited Partnership
Application 2013-1354-3, received 10 October 2013
Public hearing in Toronto, Ontario
13 May 2014
English-language AM radio station in Calgary
- The Commission approves the application by Touch Canada Broadcasting (2006) Inc. (the general partner) and C.R.A. Investments Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Touch Canada Broadcasting Limited Partnership (Touch Canada), for a broadcasting licence to operate an English-language commercial AM radio programming undertaking in Calgary, Alberta. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Touch Canada is controlled by Mr. Charles R. Allard.
- In Christian music AM radio station in Calgary, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-222, 24 April 2009, the Commission approved a previous application by Touch Canada for a new AM station in Calgary. However, Touch Canada was not able to secure a transmitter site before its authority to implement the station expired. Touch Canada has provided the Commission with proof of a land use agreement for a transmitter site for the station approved in this decision.
- The new station will operate at 700 kHz with a daytime transmitter power of 50,000 watts and a night-time transmitter power of 20,000 watts.
- The new station will offer a gospel music format targeting adults between the ages of 40 and 70. At least 90% of the musical selections broadcast during each broadcast week will be drawn from sub-category 35 (non-classic religious). The station plans to provide 56 hours of local programming during each broadcast week, of which 37.5 minutes will be devoted to news. The station will also broadcast local weather reports and listing of community events.
- The balance of the programming will consist of brokered and syndicated spoken word and music-based programming.
- Touch Canada has agreed to adhere, by condition of licence, to the Commission’s guidelines on the provision of balance and ethics in religious programming.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-478
Terms, conditions of licence and encouragement for the English-language commercial AM radio programming undertaking in Calgary, Alberta
The licence will expire 31 August 2021.
The station will operate at 700 kHz with a daytime transmitter power of 50,000 watts and a night-time transmitter power of 20,000 watts.
The Commission reminds the applicant that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, no licence may be issued until the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
Furthermore, the licence for this undertaking will be issued once the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 15 September 2016. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before this date.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the standard conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as amended from time to time.
- Where the licensee broadcasts religious programming as defined in the Religious Broadcasting Policy, Public Notice CRTC 1993-78, 3 June 1993, the licensee shall adhere to the guidelines set out in sections III.B.2.a) and IV of that public notice with respect to the provision of balance and ethics in religious programming.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: