ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-385
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2014-57
Additional reference: 2014-57-1
Ottawa, 23 July 2014
Niagara Tourist Media Group Inc.
Application 2014-0019-2, received 10 January 2014
CHQI-FM Niagara-on-the-Lake – Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language tourist radio station CHQI-FM Niagara-on-the-Lake from 1 September 2014 to 31 August 2021.
- Niagara Tourist Media Group Inc. (Niagara Tourist) filed an application to renew the broadcasting licence for the English-language tourist radio station CHQI-FM Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, which expires 31 August 2014.
- The Commission received interventions commenting on the application from certain individuals. The public record for this proceeding can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application number provided above.
- The individuals expressed concern that the station has been off the air for an extended period of time and that it may have relocated its transmitter site.
- The Commission received confirmation from Niagara Tourist that CHQI-FM was indeed off the air, due to the theft of its transmission equipment, and that the station was planning to move its transmitter site, but had not yet done so.
- Consequently, to provide an opportunity for interested persons to comment on the station’s off-air status, the Commission re-opened the public record for this application for a period of ten days with the publication of Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-57-1, 24 April 2014. The Commission did not receive any further interventions regarding this application.
- The licensee has since confirmed that the station has replaced its stolen transmission tower and that it resumed broadcasting from the same transmitter site on 24 June 2014 after being off-air for approximately 8 months.
- The Commission is satisfied that the licensee has resolved the issues raised by the interveners. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language tourist radio programming undertaking CHQI-FM Niagara-on-the-Lake from 1 September 2014 to 31 August 2021. The licensee shall continue to adhere to the following conditions of licence:
- The licensee shall use the station solely for the purpose of providing a pre-recorded tourist information service to the Niagara-on-the-Lake area.
- The licensee shall broadcast no more than six minutes of advertising material in each clock hour.
- The licensee shall not broadcast musical selections, except as incidental background music.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: