ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-325
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2014-56
Ottawa, 17 June 2014
Various locations in Quebec
The application numbers are set out in this decision.
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the French-language commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2014 to 31 August 2021.
- The Commission received an intervention from the Association québécoise de l’industrie du disque, du spectacle et de la vidéo (ADISQ). The public record for this proceeding can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application numbers provided below.
|Licensee||Call sign, location, application number and date received|
|Coopérative des travailleurs CHNC||CHNC-FM New Carlisle, Quebec, and its transmitters CHGM-FM Gaspé, CHNC-FM-1 Carleton, CHNC-FM-2 Chandler, and CHNC-FM-3 Percé and its new transmitter in Rivière-au-Renard |
8 November 2013
|Radio du Golfe inc.||CFMV-FM Chandler, Quebec |
6 November 2013
|Radio Plus B.M.D. inc.||CJAN-FM Asbestos, Quebec |
6 November 2013
|Radio Port-Cartier inc.||CIPC-FM Port-Cartier, Quebec |
8 November 2013
|Radio-Classique Montréal inc.||CJPX-FM Montréal, Quebec |
5 November 2013
- CJPX-FM shall continue to adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Broadcasting Decision 2010-831.
- The other stations shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62, as amended from time to time, with the exception of condition of licence 8 for CHNC-FM since this station is located in a single-station market.
- According to Broadcasting Decision 2008-51, the licensee of CHNC-FM had to make a contribution of $1,000 to Canadian content development (CCD) in the 2013-2014 broadcast year. Given that stations must file their annual returns by 30 November, the Commission requests the licensee to submit, in a form deemed acceptableFootnote 1 by the Commission, proof of payment regarding that contribution by 30 November 2014. The licensee of CHNC-FM shall therefore adhere to the following condition of licence:
By no later than 30 November 2014, the licensee shall file, in a form deemed acceptable by the Commission, all proof of payment regarding the required contribution of $1,000 to Canadian content development that must be made in the broadcast year ending 31 August 2014 to comply with condition of licence 4 set out in CHNC New Carlisle and its transmitter CHGM Gaspé - Conversion to the FM band and addition of FM transmitters in Carleton, Chandler and Percé, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-51, 3 March 2008.
- In addition, CHNC-FM shall adhere to the following condition of licence:
In order to fulfill its original commitment to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in CHNC New Carlisle and its transmitter CHGM Gaspé –Conversion to the FM band and addition of FM transmitters in Carleton, Chandler and Percé, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-51, 3 March 2008,the licensee shall contribute $1,000 to CCD in the 2014-2015 broadcast year, to be allocated as follows:
- $500 to MUSICACTION; and
- $500 to an eligible CCD initiative as described in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006, as amended from time to time.
- As indicated in Broadcasting Decisions 2010-883 and 2010-831, CFMV-FM and CJPX-FM were in non-compliance in their previous licence terms with section 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) relating to the filing of annual returns and with their condition of licence relating to Canadian talent development contributions. Further, as indicated in Broadcasting Decision 2010-883, CFMV-FM was in non-compliance in its previous licence term with the requirements set out in the Regulations concerning the broadcast of French-language vocal music (FVM).
- As noted in Broadcasting Decision 2011-548, CIPC-FM was in non-compliance in its previous licence term with section 2.2(10) of the Regulations concerning the broadcast of FVM, sections 8(5) and 8(6) of the Regulations relating to the submission of complete logger tapes, as well as section 15 of the Regulations concerning CCD contributions.
- The Commission notes that CFMV-FM, CJPX-FM and CIPC-FM have complied with their regulatory requirements over the current licence term. The Commission therefore finds it appropriate to renew their broadcasting licences for a full seven-year term.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
- In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the licensees to consider employment equity issues in their hiring practices and in all other aspects of their management of human resources.
- Filing annual returns for radio programming undertakings, Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2011-795, 20 December 2011
- CIPC-FM Port-Cartier – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-548, 31 August 2011
- CFMV-FM Chandler – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-883, 26 November 2010
- CJPX-FM Montréal – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-831, 9 November 2010
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- CHNC New Carlisle and its transmitter CHGM Gaspé – Conversion to the FM band and addition of FM transmitters in Carleton, Chandler and Percé, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-51, 3 March 2008
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
*This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: