ARCHIVED - Compliance and Enforcement Order CRTC 2014-307
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 9 June 2014
Unsolicited Telecommunications Fees – Telemarketing regulatory costs for 2014-15 and fees paid for 2013-14
- The Unsolicited Telecommunications Fees Regulations (the Regulations) came into force on 1 April 2013. As noted in Unsolicited Telecommunications Fees Regulations, Compliance and Enforcement Decision CRTC 2013-26, 28 January 2013, these Regulations prescribe fees that will be assessed in order to recover the Commission’s costs associated with the investigation and enforcement of the National Do Not Call List (the Commission’s “telemarketing regulatory costs” as defined in subsection 4(4) of the Regulations).
- Subsection 4(4) of the Regulations defines “telemarketing regulatory costs” as follows:
- The telemarketing regulatory costs of the Commission for a given fiscal year are the portion of the costs of the Commission’s activities for that year, as set out in the Commission’s Expenditure Plan published in Part III of the Estimates of the Government of Canada and, if applicable, the Supplementary Estimates of the Government of Canada, that are attributable to the Commission’s responsibilities under section 41.2 of the Telecommunications Act and that are not recovered under any regulation made under section 68 of that Act.
- Pursuant to subsection 5(1) of the Regulations, the Commission is required to publish each year a public notice with respect to the Commission’s telemarketing regulatory costs.
- The Commission hereby announces in this public notice that the estimated telemarketing regulatory costs for fiscal year 2014-15 total $3.3 million.
- Pursuant to subsection 5(2) of the Regulations, the Commission is to publish, each year in a public notice, the total of all amounts paid under subsection 3(1) of the Regulations in the last completed fiscal year. In accordance with subsection 3(2) of the Regulations, the determination must be done no later than 90 days after the end of each fiscal year in order to determine actual fees payable by those persons who subscribed to the National Do Not Call List and paid the Commission’s component of the fees.
- The Commission hereby announces in this public notice that the total of all amounts paid under subsection 3(1) of the Regulations in the last completed fiscal year (i.e. 2013-14) was $3,050,595. As the total amount paid in 2013-14 did not exceed the estimated regulatory costs that were noted in Unsolicited Telecommunications Fees Regulations – Telemarketing Regulatory Costs, Compliance and Enforcement Order CRTC 2013-148, 22 March 2013, the Commission has determined in accordance with subsection 4(1) of the Regulations that the fees payable for that year are equal to the amounts paid by the persons referenced in paragraph 5 above.
- Date modified: