ARCHIVED - Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-188-2
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Additional references: Telecom Notices of Consultation 2014-188 and 2014-188-1
Ottawa, 22 August 2014
File number: 8665-C12-201403287
Call for comments
Deadline for submission of interventions: 29 September 2014
Deadline for submission of replies: 6 October 2014
[Submit an intervention or view related documents]
Establishing the structure and mandate of the video relay service administrator
- With this notice, the Commission revises the procedure established in Establishing the structure and mandate of the video relay service administrator, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-188, 22 April 2014 (Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-188), as amended by Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2014-188-1, 21 May 2014 (Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-188-1).
- On 25 July 2014, one proposal was submitted as part of the current proceeding. The proposal was prepared by the Interim Board of Directors of the VRS [video relay service] Administrator (Interim Board), which is composed of members from Bell Canada, the Canadian Association of the Deaf, and an independent director. The proposal, however, did not contain key documents requested by the Commission in paragraph 6 of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-188. Commission staff sent a request for information to the Interim Board on 1 August 2014 requesting that these documents be submitted by 14 August 2014.
- On 7 August 2014, the Interim Board submitted a letter seeking an extension of the 14 August 2014 deadline to 29 August 2014. The Interim Board indicated that in order to maximize opportunity for consultation with stakeholder groups in formulating its submission, it did not include formalized draft constating documents in its proposal because these documents generally require a number of weeks to prepare. The Interim Board also indicated that it would need additional time to prepare the required documents given the complexity of drafting them.
- While the Commission has previously indicated the importance of the timely implementation of VRS in Canada, it has also indicated that any proposal submitted should be prepared in consultation with consumer stakeholder groups. The Commission notes that the Interim Board has taken steps to ensure that this consultation has taken place.
- The Commission therefore considers it appropriate to extend the deadline for the submission of the documents identified in Commission staff’s 1 August 2014 request for information from 14 August 2014 to 29 August 2014. To ensure that parties and interested persons have a full 30 days to comment on these documents, the Commission extends the deadline for the submission of interventions set out in paragraph 5 of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-188-1 from 28 August 2014 to 29 September 2014. The deadline for the submission of replies set out in paragraph 5 of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2014-188-1 is consequently extended from 8 September 2014 to 6 October 2014.
- Date modified: