ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-182
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 29 November 2013
Ottawa, 17 April 2014
Bell Media Inc. on behalf of Astral Media Radio (Toronto) Inc. and 4382072 Canada Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Astral Media Radio G.P.
Osoyoos and Princeton, British Columbia
Conversion of CIOR Princeton into a rebroadcasting transmitter of CJOR Osoyoos
The Commission approves an application to convert the English-language commercial radio station CIOR Princeton into a rebroadcasting transmitter of the English-language commercial radio station CJOR Osoyoos.
1. In CIOR Princeton – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-461, 30 August 2013, the Commission indicated that CIOR Princeton did not appear to be offering any local programming in any given broadcast week, even though it is currently licensed as an English-language commercial radio station. In reply, the licensee stated that CIOR rebroadcasts in its entirety the programming of the English-language commercial radio station CJOR Osoyoos. The Commission noted that originating stations should provide local programming and therefore directed the licensee to file, within 90 days of the date of that decision, either:
- an application to convert CIOR into a rebroadcasting transmitter of CJOR; or
- a plan detailing (a) that within one year from the date of the decision it will introduce local programming to the station in question, (b) the level of hours of local programming that will be broadcast, and (c) the manner in which the local programming that is to be introduced will meet the particular needs and interests of the Princeton population.
2. Consequently, Bell Media Inc. (Bell) on behalf of Astral Media Radio (Toronto) Inc. and 4382072 Canada Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Astral Media Radio G.P., filed an application to convert CIOR Princeton into a rebroadcasting transmitter of CJOR Osoyoos. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
3. The rebroadcasting transmitter would continue to operate under the technical parameters and contours authorized in its current licence.
4. Bell indicated that should this application be approved, it would file an application to revoke CIOR’s broadcasting licence.
Commission’s analysis and decision
5. In light of all of the above, the Commission approves the application by Bell Media Inc. (Bell) on behalf of Astral Media Radio (Toronto) Inc. and 4382072 Canada Inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Astral Media Radio G.P., to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CJOR Osoyoos by converting the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CIOR Princeton into a rebroadcasting transmitter of CJOR.
*This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: