ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-656
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2013-322
Ottawa, 5 December 2013
Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Ltd. (the general partner) and Jim Pattison Industries Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Limited Partnership
Various locations in British Columbia
The application numbers are set out in this decision.
Various commercial radio programming undertakings – Licence renewals
1. The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out in the table below from 1 January 2014 to 31 August 2020. In each case, the licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62, as amended from time to time.
|Application number||Date received||Call sign and location|
|2013-0101-9||21 January 2013||CKQQ-FM Kelowna, British Columbia|
|2013-0102-7||21 January 2013||CKDV-FM Prince George, British Columbia, and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie|
|2013-0103-5||21 January 2013||CJZN-FM Victoria, British Columbia, and its transmitter |
|2013-0104-3||21 January 2013||CKKQ-FM Victoria, British Columbia, and its transmitter |
|2013-0106-9||21 January 2013||CJJR-FM Vancouver, British Columbia|
2. The Commission received an intervention commenting on these applications, submitted on behalf of the province of British Columbia, relating to the participation of these stations in the National Public Alerting System (NPAS) in their jurisdiction. The public record for this proceeding can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings.”
3. As specified in its three-year plan, the Commission will be looking at measures to ensure the participation of Canadian broadcasters and telecommunications service providers in the NPAS. Therefore, the Commission will not impose conditions of licence requiring the participation of broadcasters in the NPAS at this time. However, the Commission expects all licensees to voluntarily participate in the NPAS so that Canadians receive timely warnings of imminent perils.
4. In Broadcasting Decision 2010-433, the Commission renewed the licence of CKDV-FM Prince George and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie for a short-term period of three years, given the station’s non-compliance with its condition of licence relating to Canadian talent development contributions for the 2004-2005 broadcast year. The Commission notes that the non-compliance issues have been resolved. In addition, the Commission notes that in the last licence term, the licensee was in compliance with its regulatory requirements.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that it must fulfill the commitments set out in Broadcasting Decision 2006-639 relating to the acquisition of CKKQ-FM Victoria and its transmitter CKKQ-FM-1 Sooke and CJZN-FM Victoria and its transmitter CKXM-FM-1 Sooke (now CJZN-FM-1) from O.K. Radio Group.
6. Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the Commission reminds the licensee that the broadcasting licences will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
7. Because the licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
- Various radio programming undertakings - Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-418, 19 August 2013
- CKDV-FM Prince George and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-433, 30 June 2010
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- CKKQ-FM Victoria, CKKQ-FM-1 Sooke and CKKR-DR-1 Victoria; CJZN-FM Victoria, CKXM-FM-1 Sooke and CJZN-DR-1 Victoria – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2006-639, 24 November 2006
*This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: