ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-518
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2013-195
Ottawa, 27 September 2013
Beanfield Technologies Inc.
Application 2012-1622-6, received 31 December 2012
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
26 June 2013
The Commission approves an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a regional video-on-demand service.
1. Beanfield Technologies Inc. (Beanfield) filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a regional video-on-demand (VOD) programming undertaking to serve multi-unit dwellings in downtown Toronto (East Bayfront and West Don Lands), Ontario.
2. Beanfield is equally owned by Daniel Armstrong (25%), Christopher Amendola (25%), Michael Armstrong (25%) and Ceto Holdings Inc. (25%) and equally controlled by Messrs. Armstrong, Amendola, Armstrong and Clinton Novak through his control of Ceto Holdings Inc.
3. The applicant indicated that the new VOD service would consist primarily of current titles from Hollywood studios, including movies and episodes of current television series (available within 24 hours of being broadcast) that are only available to VOD services.
4. Beanfield confirmed that it would make its VOD program offering available to customers in both official languages. While the programming would be predominantly in English (95%), the applicant made a commitment to offer approximately 1.3% of its programming in French. The remaining 3.7% would be offered in other languages, including Cantonese, Mandarin, Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Filipino, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish.
5. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
Commission’s analysis and decision
6. The Commission is satisfied that the application complies with the licensing framework for VOD services set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2010-190 and with all applicable requirements set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-59-1. Accordingly, the Commission approves the application by Beanfield Technologies Inc. for a broadcasting licence to operate a regional video-on-demand programming undertaking to serve multi-unit dwellings in downtown Toronto (East Bayfront and West Don Lands), Ontario. The licence will expire 31 August 2019. The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-59-1. The standard expectations and encouragement applicable to this licensee are also set out in that regulatory policy.
7. The licence for this undertaking will be issued once the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 27 September 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before this date.
- Standard requirements for video-on-demand undertakings – Provision of an outlet for local expression, measures to control the loudness of commercial messages and annual filing of aggregate statistical data, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-59-1, 8 May 2012
- Regulatory framework for video-on-demand undertakings, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-190, 29 March 2010
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: