ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-162
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2012-679
Ottawa, 28 March 2013
Radio 1540 Limited
Application 2011-0167-5, received 28 January 2011
CHIN Toronto and its transmitter CHIN-1-FM Toronto – Licence renewal
1. The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the commercial AM ethnic radio programming undertaking CHIN Toronto and its transmitter CHIN-1-FM Toronto from 1 April 2013 to 31 August 2019. The terms and the conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission received several interventions in support of this application.
2. In Broadcasting Decision 2007-322, the Commission granted CHIN and its transmitter a short-term licence renewal for a period of 4 years based on its failure to comply with its condition of licence relating to Canadian talent development contributions.
3. The Commission finds that during the current licence term, the licensee has operated its undertaking in a manner consistent with its conditions of licence and the Radio Regulations, 1986, and that it has addressed the concerns previously raised by the Commission in Broadcasting Decision 2007-322.
4. Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
- Various radio programming undertakings – Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-456, 28 August 2012
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-164, 20 March 2012
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-556, 31 August 2011, as corrected by Administrative renewals – Corrections, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-556-1, 23 September 2011; Administrative renewals – Correction, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-556-2, 16 December 2011; and Administrative renewals – Corrections, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-556-3, 5 April 2012
- CHIN-FM and CHIN Toronto and its transmitter - Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-322, 22 August 2007
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-162
Terms and conditions of licence for the commercial AM ethnic radio programming undertaking CHIN Toronto, Ontario and its transmitter CHIN-1-FM Toronto
The licence will expire 31 August 2019.
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009.
- The licensee shall provide programming directed to a minimum of 23 cultural groups in a minimum of 17 different languages.
 The original licence expiry date for the station was 31 August 2011. The licence was administratively renewed from 1 September 2011 to 31 March 2013 as a result of Broadcasting Decisions 2011-556, 2012-164 and 2012-456.
- Date modified: