ARCHIVED - Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2013-155-1
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Additional reference: 2013-155
Ottawa, 16 May 2013
Notice of hearing
21 October 2013
Issues related to the feasibility of establishing a video relay service
Extension of deadline for submission of interventions to 27 May 2013
[Submit an intervention/comment/answer or view related documents]
File numbers: 8665-C12-201303536 and 8665-C12-200807943
1. With this notice, the Commission revises the procedure established in Issues related to the feasibility of establishing a video relay service, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2013-155, 27 March 2013.
2. On 2 May 2013, the Commission received a request from the BC Video Relay Services Committee to extend the 17 May 2013 deadline for the submission of interventions to 17 June 2013. On 8 May 2013, the Commission received a request for the same extension from the Deafness Advocacy Association of Nova Scotia, and on 9 May 2013, the Commission received two more such requests from the Canadian Hearing Society and the Ontario Video Relay Services Committee. All four organizations stated that they were not seeking a delay in the hearing dates.
3. The Commission notes that, in order to accommodate interested persons who are Deaf, hard of hearing, or speech-impaired, the intervention period provided in the original notice was 51 days, which is considerably longer than the standard 30 days provided under the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure. In addition, the Commission published the notice in both American Sign Language (ASL) and Langue des signes québécoise (LSQ) to accommodate the needs of interested persons whose first language is ASL or LSQ rather than English or French. The Commission also notes that the timelines associated with this proceeding were established to allow it to arrange for the interpretation and transcription of video submissions made in ASL and LSQ.
4. The Commission considers that an extension of more than 10 days would require an extension of other deadlines in this proceeding, including the hearing dates.
5. In light of the above, the Commission considers that an extension of 10 days would be appropriate in the circumstances of this case. The Commission therefore extends the deadline for the submission of interventions to 27 May 2013. All other deadlines in this proceeding remain unchanged.
- Date modified: