ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-583
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2012-224
Additional reference: 2012-224-1
Ottawa, 22 October 2012
North Superior Broadcasting Ltd.
Marathon, Nipigon/Red Rock, Hornepayne, Geraldton, Longlac, Nakina and White River, Ontario
Application 2011-1684-8, received 28 December 2011
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
19 June 2012
CFNO-FM Marathon and its transmitters – Licence renewal
1. The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CFNO-FM Marathon and its transmitters CFNO-FM-1 Nipigon/Red Rock, CFNO-FM-2 Hornepayne, CFNO-FM-4 Geraldton, CFNO-FM-5 Longlac, CFNO-FM-7 Nakina and CFNO-FM-8 White River from 1 December 2012 to 31 August 2019.1 The terms and condition of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Decision 2008-363, the Commission granted CFNO-FM and its transmitters a short-term licence renewal for a period of four years based on its failure to comply with its obligations relating to Canadian talent development and with sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) with respect to Canadian content for category 2 musical selections.
3. The Commission finds that during the current licence term, the licensee has operated its undertaking in a manner consistent with its conditions of licence as well as the Regulations, and that it has addressed the concerns previously raised by the Commission in Broadcasting Decision 2008-363.
4. In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission also encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-341, 22 June 2012
- CFNO-FM Marathon and its transmitters – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-363, 23 December 2008
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-583
Terms and condition of licence
The licence will take effect 1 December 2012 and expire 31 August 2019.
Condition of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the standard conditions of licence set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009.
 In Broadcasting Decision 2012-341, the Commission administratively renewed the current licence from 1 September to 30 November 2012.
- Date modified: