ARCHIVED - Telecom Decision CRTC 2012-570
This page has been archived on the Web
Ottawa, 17 October 2012
CISC Network Working Group – Consensus reports NTRE050, NTRE051, and NTRE052 regarding IP network interconnections for voice services
File number: 8621-C12-01/08
1. In Network interconnection for voice services, Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2012-24, 19 January 2012, the Commission requested that the CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee (CISC) undertake a number of activities to facilitate Internet Protocol (IP) network interconnections for voice services.
2. On 9 August 2012, the Network Working Group (NTWG) of CISC submitted the following consensus reports for Commission approval:
- IP to IP Call Identification methodology (NTRE050);
- VoIP Interconnection – Test Plan and Questionnaire Report (NTRE051);1 and
- Review and update existing IP voice network interconnection guidelines and technical specifications (NTRE052).
3. These consensus reports can be found under the “Reports” section of the NTWG page, which is available under the CISC section of the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca.
IP to IP Call Identification methodology
4. Report NTRE050 describes a common or standard methodology to be used by carriers to identify end-to-end IP calls to support current or future interconnection negotiations, without restricting the freedom of carriers to negotiate alternative arrangements that may better suit their needs.
VoIP Interconnection – Test Plan and Questionnaire Report
5. In Report NTRE051, the NTWG (a) made recommendations on test plans that should be put in place in support of IP network interconnection arrangements, and (b) developed a questionnaire and methodology to be used to obtain and share pertinent information from industry participants in relation to in-service IP network interconnection arrangements and trials.
Update to IP interconnection guidelines and technical specifications
6. In Report NTRE052, the NTWG made recommendations that update the existing Commission-approved interconnection guidelines and technical specifications in support of IP network interconnection arrangements.
Commission’s analysis and determination
7. The Commission has reviewed and approves the above-noted consensus reports.
 VoIP stands for voice over Internet Protocol.
- Date modified: