ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-538
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 applications posted on 18 July 2012
Ottawa, 5 October 2012
Canadien Broadcasting Corporation
Chisasibi, Kuujjuaq (Fort Chimo) and Kuujjuarapik, Quebec
Applications 2012-0842-1 and 2012-0841-3
CBFG-FM Chisasibi – Addition of transmitters
1. The Commission approves the applications by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the French-language radio programming undertaking CBFG-FM Chisasibi to add two low-power FM transmitters in order to rebroadcast the programming of its French-language national network La Première Chaîne. The transmitters would be located in Kuujjuaq (application 2012-0841-3) and Kuujjuarapik (application 2012-0842-1). The Commission did not receive any intervention in connection with these applications.
2. The new transmitter in Kuujjuaq will operate at 105.1 MHz (channel 286LP) with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) of 9.3 meters). The new transmitter in Kuujjuarapik will operate at 105.1 MHz (channel 286LP) with an ERP of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an EHAAT of 30.1 meters).
3. The licensee indicated that since there is currently no coverage in those areas, it wishes to extend to those areas the service of La Première Chaîne.
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued. Therefore, in the absence of the notification by the Department, the licensee will not be able to implement the transmitters approved in this decision.
5. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for low-power unprotected FM services, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
6. The transmitters must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 5 October 2014. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: