ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-514
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 26 July 2012
Ottawa, 25 September 2012
Soundview Entertainment Inc.
Addition of PTV Global to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to add PTV Global to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector.”
1. The Commission received an application dated 23 July 2012 from Soundview Entertainment Inc. to add PTV Global, a non-Canadian service originating in Pakistan, to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The applicant described PTV Global as a 24-hour Urdu-language (99.9%) general interest channel that provides news and entertainment programming to Urdu speakers residing in Canada. The remaining 0.1% is offered in the English language.
3. In Improving the diversity of third-language television services - A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004, the Commission stated that requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list would generally be approved, subject to any requirement it deemed appropriate. In the case of non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming, the Commission stated that it would continue to apply a case-by-case assessment to determine whether such services are partially or totally competitive with Canadian pay or specialty services.
Commission’s analysis and decision
4. The Commission relies primarily on the interventions filed to identify the Canadian pay and specialty services with which the service proposed to be added to the list might be totally or partially competitive and which therefore should be included in the assessment of the competitiveness of the service.
5. In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the addition of PTV Global to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Date modified: