ARCHIVED - Telecom Order CRTC 2012-480
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 7 September 2012
Saskatchewan Telecommunications – Destandardization of Centrex Data Service
File number: Tariff Notice 272
1. The Commission received an application from Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel), dated 5 July 2012, in which the company proposed to destandardize its General Tariff item 200.25 – Centrex Data Service, effective 17 October 2012.
2. SaskTel submitted that Centrex Data Service is an aging service with declining demand as advances in technology occur, and that no new demand for the service is expected. SaskTel also submitted that the Centrex Data units that the service uses were discontinued by the vendor in 2002.
3. SaskTel therefore proposed to stop offering its Centrex Data Service for new installations, additions to existing installations, and moves or rearrangements on the same or different premises.
4. SaskTel stated that it offers high-speed Internet service as an alternative to Centrex Data Service. SaskTel further stated that high-speed Internet is a more modern service and will provide customers with faster download and upload speeds with no toll charges.
5. SaskTel submitted that it would continue to support its existing Centrex Data Service customers.
6. The Commission did not receive any comments regarding SaskTel’s application. The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 16 August 2012, is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings” or by using the file number provided above.
7. The Commission considers that SaskTel has complied with the requirements set out in Mandatory customer contract renewal notification and requirements for service destandardization/withdrawal, Telecom Decision CRTC 2008-22, 6 March 2008, in which the Commission revised its procedures for dealing with applications to destandardize and/or withdraw tariffed services. The Commission notes in particular that SaskTel has notified its Centrex Data Service customers of its intention to destandardize the service and has identified a service alternative.
8. In light of the above, the Commission considers that SaskTel’s proposal to destandardize its Centrex Data Service is reasonable. Accordingly, the Commission approves SaskTel’s application, effective 17 October 2012.
- Date modified: